In December 2009, Seferihisar became the first Turkish town named a member of the Cittaslow movement. Cittaslow is a movement founded in Italy in October 1999. The inspiration of Cittaslow was the Slow Food organization.
Cittaslow’s goals include improving the quality of life in towns by slowing down its overall pace, especially in a city’s use of spaces and the flow of life and traffic through them.
Cittaslow is part of a cultural trend known as the Slow movement.
The main aims of the movement are:
• making life better for everyone living in an urban environment
• improving the quality of life in the cities
• resisting the homogenization and globalization of towns around the globe
• protecting the environment
• promoting cultural diversity and uniqueness of individual cities
• provide inspiration for a healthier lifestyle
Seferihisar is where the ancient city of Teos is located and its highly interesting await further research and discoveries.
Apart from its historical background, the town is very well known for its bio bazaars and agricultural products. The bazaars and markets of local produts attract many people.